Scroll to Top

Cop in court over Chihuri shooting

By H-Metro Reporter / Published on Friday, 08 Dec 2017 15:39 PM / No Comments / 3387 views

8 December 2017

The police officer who was allegedly involved in a shooting spree at Zimbabwe Republic Police Commissioner-General Augustine Chihuri’s house before setting it on fire yesterday appeared in court.

Hardlife Maukazuva, 28, was not asked to plead when he appeared before Harare magistrate Josephine Sande charged with unlawful entry into premises in aggravating circumstances, malicious damage to property and attempted murder.

The matter was remanded to December 21 after he was advised to apply for bail at the High Court.

The State, represented by Tatenda Murindagomo, alleges that on December 6, at around 6am, Maukazuva reported for guard duties at Commissioner- General Chihuri’s house in Greystone Park, Harare.

Maukazuva took over an AK Riffle with a magazine of 30 rounds among other things then forced open a closed window to gain entry into the house.

Whilst inside, he stole a Samsung LED 32’ plasma television, black HP satchel bag, Tuxan shoe polish, ladies clothes and went out through the same window.

As he was escaping, he was seen by one Robson Mubaiwa who is a gardener at the same house.

It was reported that Maukazuva went and hid the stolen property valued at US$2 000 in a fountain flowerbed.

At around 7:30 am, the same day, Constable Kudakwashe Jekemu, who was deployed together with Maukazuva, was informed of the break in by Mubaiwa.

It was reported that Jekemu tried to disarm Maukazuva to effect an arrest on him but Maukazuva became violent and struck him on the back using the butt of his AK service riffle.

Maukazuva reportedly went inside the house and set Commissioner-General Chihuri’s house on fire and burnt several household goods causing intense damages to the house valued at US$300 000.

When the house was smoldering, Maukazuva whilst armed with the riffle, allegedly stood guard by the verandah of the house monitoring that no one came close to put off the fire.

When Maukazuva noticed Cst Jekemu by the gate, he opened fire towards Jekemu and Mubaiwa but missed.

Cnst Jekemu reported the matter to his superiors at Morris Deport and they swiftly came to the scene.

Upon the arrival of the reinforcement team, Maukazuva again opened fire towards the team which was headed by Chief Inspector Munditi but again missed.

Maukazuva reportedly tried to commit suicide using the same riffle only to realise that he had run out of ammunition.

It was at this juncture that he was subdued and arrested.



Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.