FIRE KILLS 2 IN EPWORTH
27 December 2016
TWO minor children died and four were injured after a generator caught fire during refuelling and burnt three vehicles in Epworth on Christmas Day.
The minors Caroline Nyamhandu, five, and Given Sami, five, died on the spot after they were trapped in the house along with the injured four people, who were receiving treatment at Harare Central Hospital.
National police spokesperson Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident urging members of the public to be very cautious when handling fuel especially petrol as it is highly flammable.
“The Zimbabwe Republic Police would like to confirm the death of two minors and injury of four people in a fire that occurred in Epworth on 25th December 2016,” said Chief Supt Nyathi.
“Two male adults were refuelling a generator with petrol close to an open fire that was being used for cooking when the generator suddenly caught fire.
“The fire quickly spread to three vehicles that were parked close to the house before bursting into a huge flame which torched the house and trapped six people including the deceased.
“The fire destroyed house hold property and three motor vehicles, thus a Mazda 323, Renault lorry and Toyota Hiace commuter omnibus.
“It is suspected that the Toyota Hiace was laden with 2X200 litres drums of fuel suspected to be petrol.
“Neighbours rescued those who were trapped by breaking the wall of the house and four people escaped with serious injuries.
“They also managed to put off the fire using water and sand. It was after the fire had been put off that the charred remains of the two deceased were discovered.
“The public should keep small quantities of fuel for domestic use only as keeping large quantities or selling fuel without a licence is an offence,” said Chief Supt Nyathi.