HARARE CITY OUT OF CAF CONFED
6 December 2017
HARARE City executive on Monday decided that they will not participate in the CAF Confederation Cup next year, H-Metro can reveal.
Club Secretary General Mathew Marara confirmed the developments yesterday, in the process dispelling rumours that they were trying to buy a franchise in the Premiership.
The decision not to participate in Africa could appease some of the club’s critics, including Mayor Bernard Manyenyeni, claiming the club is wasting resources.
“We are not participating in the CAF Confederation Cup. That is the decision we reached after our meeting as the executive. We are also going ahead to play in division one after relegation and that is where our efforts will be as a club,” Marara said.
Harare City were relegated at the end of the season, a development that was shocking given the strength and stability of their team.
But by winning the Chibuku Super Cup, they have the ticket to represent the country in that continental club competition.
Relegation made it impossible to participate and the executive had already been pressured before making a decision.
This week the Harare City treasurer was forced to defend the sports policy position of the city saying they do not fund anything outside the budget approved by council.
Relegation to division one will also mean that the club’s budget will be reduced.
“Yes, ofcourse this means we will play most of the games in Harare. So transport and accommodation costs are cut in the process. It is different, unlike when you are in the Premiership.
“The main objective though will be to try and do well in division one and gain promotion,” said the SG.
The decision taken by the executive mean that Harare City will lose most of their top players who want to play Premiership football.
These include the likes Farai Madhanhanga, Martin Vengesai, Malvern Gaki, Tendai Samanja, Jimmy Tigere, Maxwell Nyamupangedengu, Takudzwa Chimwemwe and William Manondo.
This week the club will start approaching contracted players on an individual level to map the future.
“We will approach the players as individuals to see the solution we can come up with. It is likely some will go on loan depending on the agreement. We are not really worried that we will lose a lot of players because we know we have enough players to use in division one because of our focus on players coming from our junior teams,” Marara said.
The developments mean that Harare City now have two franchises in division one.
“We will make sure that we remain with one club in division one and then the other one for our junior players has to be in division two. We are trying to see how best we can handle the issue at the moment.
“But it is crucial that our junior team continues to play because of the thrust we now have on developing our own players. What is certain is that we are not buying any players as a club,” he said.