Scroll to Top

PASUWA NAILS DUBE

By Nyore Madzianike / Published on Thursday, 06 Oct 2016 18:34 PM / No Comments / 1077 views

6 October 2016

Pasuwa
Pasuwa

FORMER Zimbabwe national soccer team assistant coach Nation Dube almost received a bashing from players who were demanding their money after fixing a match during the CHAN tournament held in Rwanda early this year, Warriors coach Kallisto Pasuwa revealed.

Pasuwa made the revelations during his cross-examination by State counsel Timothy Makoni in a matter in which Dube is jointly charged with former ZIFA CEO Henrietta Rushwaya and Edzai Kasinauyo.

Dube, Rushwaya and Kasinauyo are standing accused of attempting to fix matches played between Zimbabwe and Swaziland in Harare and Mbabane respectively.

Pasuwa also nailed Kasinauyo for pressing him to release the names of the players who were to participate during the games earlier than required according to his work contract.

The Warriors head coach claimed the release of the names was part of the game plan to fix the matches.

“I don’t have much to say but I have messages that were being sent to me over the phone by Leeroy Waguta.

“Leeroy called me and told me about people who wanted to fix the matches we wanted to play.

“He said I should not tell anyone since it was involving some top people.

“I was told that accused 2 (Edzai Kasinauyo) wanted to know the list of players before the actual date when I was supposed to release the names.

“He (Kasinauyo) would call for meetings which I would attend along with team manager Sharrif Mussa, technical director Takaendesa Jongwe.

“He would then demand the list of players saying he was a (ZIFA) board member for development.

“On Tatenda Mukuruva, I called him telling him that he was going to be called and asked to travel to South Africa for trials.

“He later called back telling me that the people whom I had hinted him of had called asking him to travel to South Africa.

“I kept the information about their plans until such a time when Jongwe came across one of the messages in my phone.

“He questioned me about the messages and I told him that it was the information which I had been sent over the phone.

“I then went to inform president Chiyangwa who indicated that I should pass the information to lawyer Itai Ndudzo,” he said.

Asked in cross examination by lawyer Harrison Nkomo who is representing Edzai Kasinauyo on the role played by his client, Pasuwa said:

“I don’t have evidence linking him to the offence but I had issues with him on pressing me to release the names of players before the actual time.

“Leeroy Waguta would be the best person to ask over the evidence,” he said.

Questioned in cross re-examination about the messages and the roles of the accused persons, Pasuwa said:

“The players who would have been contacted were promised US$15 000 for a loss on an away game and US$20 000 for the home match.

“Dube was tasked to inform them on which position each player was to play and he was to be given money to hand over to the players.

“During the CHAN tournament, he was involved in a fight with players after he failed to give them money.

“This time around, the assurance from him was that he would give them the money,” he said.

Former ZIFA CEO Jonathan Mashingaidze also testified in the matter.

Rushwaya, Kasinauyo and Dube are expected to return to court on October 13 for trial continuation.

Magistrate Lucy Mungwaru presided over the matter.