Scroll to Top

RAHMAN REACTS TO SNUB

By Mugove Chigada / Published on Thursday, 13 Jul 2017 15:54 PM / No Comments / 1604 views

13 June 2017

Rahman Gumbo

RAHMAN Gumbo says he did not receive any official letter from Zifa making him coach for CHAN qualifiers, making it difficult to comment on the appointment of Sunday Chidzambwa.

Zifa had announced that Norman Mapeza will be in charge of AFCON qualifiers, Sunday Chidzambwa for Cosafa while Rahman would take care of CHAN before they made a U-turn this week.

After a successful Cosafa Castle Cup campaign in South Africa, Chidzambwa has since been given the mandate to lead the team against Namibia in a CHAN qualifier on Sunday away.

Zifa president Philip Chiyangwa said they needed to ensure continuity after Zimbabwe were crowned champions of Southern Africa.

“I’m not involved and I did not receive a letter to that effect. In any case I was not available for now so I cannot say anything on that,” Rahman told H-Metro.

“You know I’m a member of the HPC (High Performance committee) and I don’t remember us making a decision on that. So I’m not involved in this case.”

The HPC, which includes both Rahman and Chidzambwa, recommends to Zifa who they can appoint for certain positions but the association will make the final say on appointments.

Chidzambwa is on record saying he never wanted to lead the team in SA as there was a conflict of interests and he was ready to hand over to another coach in line with what Zifa had earlier announced.

“We felt that continuity was integral in this cause and this creates a strong bond between the players and the technical team. This technical team has made us and the nation proud by winning a historic fifth COSAFA Castle Cup and we have made a decision that they (technical team) will take charge of the 2018 CHAN qualifiers to ensure we qualify for the finals in Kenya,” Chiyangwa said.

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.