Scroll to Top

Residents question Harare capacity

By Munyaradzi Doma / Published on Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 16:17 PM / No Comments / 595 views

20 September 2016

push-carts-still-in-the-cbd-4
Harare residents have questioned the authorities’ capacity to deal with illegal activities in the city, saying despite several warnings, chaos remains the order of the day.

The residents made the sentiments during a recent meeting with authorities as they touched on several issues amongst them illegal settlements which continue to mushroom.

“My question is on what the city is doing on illegal settlers who are in the city properties, the farms and every other open land which is now being taken up by the so called land barons.
push-carts-still-in-the-cbd-3
“I think the council has got show us whether they have got teeth enough to remove those people because failure to do so will compromise the whole plans which we are doing here in terms of service delivery,” said a member of the Community Water Alliance.

Other residents also went on to point that the chaos in the Central Business District has been left unchecked despite authorities issuing ‘warnings’.

In response to the issue of illegal settlers acting Town Clerk Josephine Ncube said “in terms of the illegal settlers, the council has come out very loud and clear that they must all be cleared and within the past few weeks they have all been served with notices and you will soon see the council taking action.

“But we are also saying it’s another area where people also need to be educated, we talk of loss of property and so forth and so on when people are carrying out illegal activities and we have gone out of our way to say to people go through the correct processes, approach us for land and so forth.

“And we will be continuing to do that,” said Ncube.

And while the Harare City council said it is no longer allowing push carts in the CBD, a survey has revealed that it’s still business as usual.

“We are impounding all push carts because we don’t allow them in town,” said City of Harare acting Corporate Communications Manager Michael Chideme .

In a statement, the City of Harare reiterated its stance on pushcarts but that is not the case.

“Owners of push carts are also urged to stop using them in the CBD as they are blocking the movement of traffic and entrance into shops in the city,” said the COH.

And it was added that they had since engage the police to deal with illegal activities but it seems so far the collabo is not yielding any visible results as chaos remains the order of the day.