WARRIORS PULL OUT OF CECAFA
30 November 2017
THE Warriors have pulled out of the CECAFA challenge citing security concerns.
Zimbabwe was set to participate at the tournament to be hosted by Kenya as a guest nation.
Yesterday Zifa said they had been left with no choice after making consultations on the issue about the instability in the East African country.
“Following wide-ranging consultations with all stakeholders, the Zimbabwe Football Association has resolved to withdraw its commitment to participate in the 2017 CECAFA Challenge Cup due to the security risk posed by the volatile situation in the host country, Kenya.
“As a result, ZIFA has immediately suspended all preparations related to the commitment made earlier, to participate as a guest nation at this year’s CECAFA tournament,” Zifa said in a statement.
The association said it is a huge disappointment that Sunday Chidzambwa will not be leading the team to that regional tournament.
“ZIFA reiterates its commitment to fulfill all future tournaments and matches, provided the environment does not in any way risk the safety of participating teams.
“The withdrawal from such a prestigious tournament is unfortunate for us, the team, the nation and the tournament organisers, but the association had to make the complex decision in the best interest of all involved.
“ZIFA remains committed to its mandate of organising competitive matches for all national teams, at the same time ensuring the safety of everyone participating.”
The association added that future invitations to such tournaments will be accepted, apologising to the tournament organisers.
“ZIFA is open to future similar engagements with CECAFA and other regional bodies because such tournaments afford national teams with invaluable competitive game time.
“ZIFA unreservedly apologises to the tournament organisers, sponsors, the team, supporters and other stakeholders for all inconveniences caused by this sudden development,” said the association.